Winter Meetings: Day 3
Hello again from the Opryland Hotel in Nashville. On deck today on Day 3 of the Winter Meetings: Indians manager Terry Francona will hold his formal media session at 3:30 p.m. ET, a little ahead of local reporters’ daily sit-down with president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti and GM Mike Chernoff.
Throughout the day, I’ll post updates and links here to Tribe-related developments.
- Here is the main Indians.com story from Tuesday: Tribe looking to add to offense without subtracting from rotation
- According to Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle, the Astros have inquired with Cleveland about right-hander Carlos Carrasco. At this point, it would seem more newsworthy if a team has not checked in on the Tribe’s starting pitchers. But, add Houston to the list of interested clubs.
- Per various reports, the Indians, Twins and Rangers have all shown interest in free-agent outfielder Rajai Davis.
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Braves have been “besieged” with calls about outfielder Ender Inciarte since acquiring him from the D-backs. It seems safe to assume that Cleveland is among the teams that has checked on his potential availability.
- The Cardinals claimed lefty Jayson Aquino off waivers from the Indians, who designated the pitcher for assignment on Monday after acquiring outfielder Joey Butler.
- The Braves acquired a big package from D-backs (Inciarte, Dansby Swanson, Aaron Blair) for Shelby Miller. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported that Cleveland can’t duplicate that kind of return because the Indians are seeking MLB talent, not prospects, in trade talks for starting pitching.
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Indians have talked to the Reds about third baseman Todd Frazier. MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon quickly followed up, reporting that it doesn’t look like a match. Reds’ asking price is high.
- Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that the Indians were one of four teams to bid at least $11M for rights to negotiate with Korean slugger Byung Ho Park. Twins won the bidding at $12.85M.
- In talks for Danny Salazar, the Indians asked the Giants for Joe Panik plus four top prospects, per reporter Andrew Baggarly.
- Francona and Chernoff noted Wednesday that the Indians are looking for lefty relief help.
- Paul Hoynes of Cleveland.com reports that the Indians have shown interest in 1B/OF/DH Steve Pearce.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reportst that the Cubs have also talked to Cleveland about Carrasco and Salazar. Jorge Soler was discussed. “No momentum now” however.
Stay tuned for more…