Winter Meetings: Day 2
Aaand we’re back.
Welcome to Day 2 of the Winter Meetings from the Opryland Biodome Hotel here in Nashville. This will once again be your one-stop shop for Indians reports and rumors throughout the day, plus links to coverage on Indians.com.
- Chris Antonetti, the Indians president of baseball operations, addressed all those Michael Brantley whispers on Day 1 of the Meetings.
- Antonetti also said the Indians have set a “high bar” in any talks for their starting pitchers. Translation: it has to be the kind of impact deal Cleveland can’t walk away from.
- Included in that last link are some other tidbits, including reports that Cleveland is among the teams that have checked in on A’s infielder Brett Lawrie.
- Here’s more on the claim of outfielder Joey Butler.
- ESPN’s Buster Olney reported Tuesday morning that Cleveland doesn’t seem like a “natural landing spot” for Lawrie, though. Right now, Giovanny Urshela projects to be the Tribe’s starter at third base.
- According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the Indians offered righty Danny Salazar in trade discussions for D-backs outfielder A.J. Pollock. Arizona, however, is not motivated to deal Pollock at the moment.
- Cleveland.com reports that the Braves have inquired about catcher Roberto Perez, but it doesn’t look like there’s a match between the two clubs.
- Paul Hoynes of Cleveland.com reports that Indians have discussed a 1-year deal (with an option) with OF Rajai Davis.
- MLB.com’s TR Sullivan reports that the Rangers have talked about a trade with the Indians. Texas is looking for starting pitching. The Rangers also have a stated need for catching, making Perez a possible target for Texas, too.
Stay tuned for more…