“I missed these guys, man.”

Tito4Spring Training has been underway for about a week now, but things finally felt official on Monday. Everybody was on hand and moving between the fields for Cleveland’s first full-squad workout of the year.

All morning, plenty of laughter could be heard around the complex.

“I missed these guys, man,” Indians manager Terry Francona said. “I was so happy to be back.”

It seemed fitting that the real Day 1 coincided with the news that Ubaldo Jimenez agreed to a four-year contract with the Orioles. Will the Indians miss him, too? There is no denying Big U’s impact on Cleveland’s run to the Wild Card last season, that’s for sure.

It’s an old cliche, but only time will tell if the loss of Jimenez crushes the Tribe’s chances of returning to the playoffs. The double-whammy of losing both him and Scott Kazmir is a blow to the Indians’ rotation, no doubt. But were they worth the kind of deals they signed with Baltimore and Oakland, respectively?

Maybe you disagree with me, and that’s fine, but I completely understand why the Indians passed.

It was a miracle that Kazmir went through his renaissance in 2013, after being out of affiliated ball a year earlier. The lefty himself often joked that he led the league in medical mound visits. Two years for a guaranteed $22 million. I wish Kazmir well, but that’s all kinds of risk. No thanks.

As for Jimenez, let’s not forget that one year ago, many Indians fans wanted him out of the rotation and kicked to the curb that Kazmir came from. Let’s also forget that, with the exception of the first two and a half months in 2010 and the final five months in 2013, Jimenez was a mostly wreck for the past four seasons. Consider that the righty had a 5.03 ERA with a 1.46 WHIP in the 502.1 IP between June 23, 2010-April 21, 2013. In the other 267 IP in the 2010/2013 seasons, Ubaldo had a 2.06 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP.

Maybe you’ll call that cherry picking. I call it mediocre performance 65 percent of the time over a four-year period. Granted, the other 35 percent was steller, but was that worth a reported $50 million over four years? I’m not sure, and I’m not sure a team in Cleveland’s position can afford that kind of risk.

For now, Cleveland will hope that Danny Salazar can give them around the same or more than what Kazmir provided. Corey Kluber, if his 2013 was any indication, seems to have the potential to provide the kind of innings Jimenez gave the Indians (and with fewer walks). In the short-term, having Jimenez would’ve shored up the staff, rendered this spring’s fifth spot competition moot, but “short-term” wasn’t in the cards.

——————————————

Photos from the past few days

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

———————–

More from Indians.com…

Stay tuned for more…

–JB

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 87 other followers

%d bloggers like this: