Greetings from Goodyear
It’s not a bad gig, especially for those of us who get to escape real winter, and the extended time away from family is certainly easier these days with FaceTime, Facebook and Skype. The best part about it, though, is simply knowing that baseball season is back.
With the exception of a one-week break in March to see my wife and kiddos, I’ll be here for the duration, and then off to the West Coast for Opening Day in Oakland.
As laid out on Indians.com a few days ago, there is certainly no shortage of storylines in Tribe camp this spring, and there are obviously heightened expectations. Terry Francona’s Wild Card-clinching Wahoos won’t be taking anybody by surprise during the 2014 season.
You can keep checking MLB.com and Indians.com for all the latest from Spring Training, and I’ll use this space for a regular round-up of what’s going on with the team, too. Also, if you’re not already, follow me on Twitter (@MLBastian) and Instagram (bastianmlb) for even more updates, quotes, tidbits and photos from Arizona.
Here are some links from the first few days of camp:
- Caught up with Justin Masterson (on his ongoing contract talks) and Vinnie Pestano (on his recent arbitration hearing) on Monday. CLICK HERE to check out the story.
- On Monday night, it was learned that the Indians have an agreement in place on a four-year, $25-million contract with outfielder Michael Brantley. The deal is expected to be officially announced on Thursday.
- In Tuesday’s notebook, All-Star second baseman Jason Kipnis (an extension candidate) discussed how he plans on talking to Brantley and Pestano about their recent negotiation experiences while weighing his own options.
- Also in Tuesday’s notebook, Josh Tomlin talks about his upcoming arbitration hearing (scheduled for Friday), Lonnie Chisenhall addresses his take on the third-base situation, plus a few small tidbits.
- Here’s Tuesday’s story on the official opening of camp. Pitchers and catchers reported, and a handful of players talked about the expectations for this spring and the season ahead.
- On Wednesday, the Indians announced the signing of veteran righty Kyle Davies to a Minor League deal. There is no big-league invite, though. Davies reports to Minors camp next week.
- Wednesday’s notebook includes Francona discussing Brantley’s value to the Tribe, Carlos Carrasco’s chance to earn a spot on the pitching staff and a handful of smaller notes.
- Over on Castroturf, MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince goes over some decisions by the Indians and how finances have and will come into play.
- Coming to Indians.com later today, a feature on Carlos Santana (pictured above) and his attempt to add third base to the mix this spring.
More on Thursday, when the pitchers and catchers will run through the team’s first official workout.